I recently attended the first Asia-Pacific Biochar Conference and noted that groups are currently active in Japan, Australia and New Zealand only (in the SEA region). I foresee that groups will eventually be formed in many SEA countries. I hope to gather interest for a group here in Malaysia, but as a first step, I propose that a regional group be formed. I suggest this because there are many countries in the region at various stages of economic development that may struggle to get a group underway. Also, regional activity on biochar currently ranges from minor to almost nil.
I have contacted IBI and received their support for a SEA biochar group. They will be able to offer a webpage on their new site which will be released mid-June.
I suggest that a small management team be tasked with activities leading to the formal establishment of the SEA group. These activities might be,
- communication with IBI & existing regional groups (Japan, Australia, NZ)
- planning for a management team meeting
- discussion on the structure of a regional group
- regional biochar initiatives
- investigation of local, regional & international funding avenues for the above activities.
If you have an opinion on this proposal, then I would welcome your posting to this blog.